We are open - safety is our top priority!
Posted on: December 27, 2015
How to Bring Bruxism To a Grinding Halt
Bruxism is a disorder where you repeatedly grind or clench your teeth to the point of dental damage. Some people do it to cope with stress, while others do it while they’re sleeping. Whether it’s a daily habit or an unconscious act, it’s important to know how to spot the signs and properly treat the condition since it can lead to many major problems.
Grounds for Grinding
While the cause of teeth grinding isn’t completely understood, it is often attributed to these psychological and physical reasons:
- Emotions including anxiety, anger, frustration, and stress
- An aggressive, competitive, or hyperactive personality
- A psychological coping strategy or habit when focusing
- Abnormal alignment of upper and lower teeth
- Sleep problems, such as sleep apnea
- Stomach acid reflux
- The response to an earache or teething pain in children
- Complication resulting from a medical disorder like Parkinson’s disease or Huntington’s disease
Symptoms of Suffering
It’s simple to see the signs of bruxism because they’re often written all over your face. If you experience these symptoms or notice them in a family member, then it’s time to get treatment for this teeth grinding and you should make an appointment at one of the dental clinics in Florida. The signs of a problem include:
- Teeth grinding or clenching
- Worn tooth enamel that exposes the tooth’s inner layers
- Flattened, fractured, loose, or chipped teeth
- Sensitive teeth
- Soreness in the face or jaw
- Tight, tense jaw muscles
- Gnaw marks on the inside of your cheek
- Indentations on the tongue
- Dull headache, starting in the temples
- Pain similar to an earache
A Range of Remedies
While it’s wise to get an expert opinion from one of the dental clinics in Florida, treatment isn’t always required. Many adults have a mild case that doesn’t call for treatment, while numerous kids just outgrow the problem. But if the bruxism is severe, these are the various approaches and therapies for treatment:
- Dental correction can put teeth back in proper alignment to reduce teeth grinding.
- Mouth guards and splints can separate teeth to prevent dental damage.
- Behavior therapy can help change the behaviors causing the bruxism.
- Stress management techniques can help you cope with tension to relieve stress-related bruxism.
- Medication like muscle relaxants and injections can relax the muscles to reduce the tension that leads to grinding.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Florida, call Towncare Dental today at or make an appointment.
Towncare Dental offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Florida. Our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Towncare Dental, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Towncare Dental.