We are open - safety is our top priority!
Posted on: June 21, 2021
Reasons and Remedies for Tooth Discoloration
We know that discolored or stained teeth can put a real damper on your social interactions. You can rest assured that there are many ways that dentists can help you to look your best and to feel more confident in your daily activities. There are an array of cosmetic solutions designed with the needs of patients in mind. If you want the brightest and whitest possible teeth, keep reading for more information and discover how you can reduce staining. Schedule a consultation with our dental experts.
What Causes Dental Discoloration?
A number of factors can impact the health and appearance of your teeth. These include the foods you eat, the beverages you drink, the personal habits you practice and the care you take of your teeth. Ask your dentist or a dental professional for recommendations that will help you look your best and will keep your teeth strong and healthy for many years to come.
How Food Affects Your Teeth
Plaque is a major threat to your teeth and their health. This sticky, whitish material can adhere to your teeth to attack tooth enamel, which can lead to cavities and to serious tooth decay issues. Eating sugary foods or consuming sweet drinks can contribute to the formation of plaque. Avoiding these foods will typically reduce risks to your tooth enamel. If you must consume sweets or starchy foods, brushing after each meal is essential to promote the healthiest possible teeth.
- Some drinks contain tannins, which are known to stain tooth enamel over time. Coffee and tea are among the best-known of these tannin-containing drinks. Some types of wine, especially those with a dark-red color, also contain tannins and can cause staining of your tooth enamel. Brushing after consuming these beverages and flossing your teeth regularly is an important step in managing their effects on the appearance of your teeth.
- Dairy products like milk and cheese contain plenty of calcium and protein. These nutrients are necessary to build stronger bones and healthier teeth.
- Omega-3 fatty acids are found in fish and flaxseed oil. These important nutrients have an anti-inflammatory effect on the body and can promote the healthiest gums and teeth for you and other members of your family.
Most dentists should discuss the importance of proper diet and good eating and drinking habits with you to make sure that your teeth stay as healthy and beautiful as possible now and in the future.
Why Smoking Is Dangerous for Your Teeth
The habit of smoking tobacco can have some serious negative effects on your teeth and gums:
- Smoking deposits nicotine and tar on the surface of your teeth. Over time, these chemicals are absorbed by your tooth enamel to create yellowing or to cause brownish stains to develop.
- Tobacco smoke is an irritant that causes inflammation of delicate gum tissues. This can lead to increased risk of gum disease and the loss of your permanent teeth to periodontal issues.
- Smoking tobacco also is a common underlying reason for bad breath.
Work with your dental team to devise a plan for stopping smoking. For those who do not wish to kick this habit, we recommend brushing after every session of smoking and flossing your teeth frequently. This will help to reduce the impact of stains and yellowing caused by tobacco use.
Dental Care for Whiter Teeth
Fortunately, there are some simple steps you can take to reduce your chance of discolored or yellow teeth. Some of our most practical recommendations include the following:
- Schedule regular exams and twice-annual teeth cleaning appointments. This will allow us to spot any developing problems and to provide you with solutions for these issues before they become serious problems for you or other members of your family.
- Brush your teeth after every meal or snack to remove plaque. You should also floss at least once daily to prevent food and plaque from building up between your teeth.
- Avoid eating right before bedtime or when you cannot clean your teeth effectively.
- Rinse your mouth with water or mouthwash after consuming sugary or starchy foods or drinks.
Many dentists may also recommend the use of antibacterial mouthwashes or specialty toothpastes to help keep your teeth as healthy and white as possible. Sometimes they will also recommend the use of over-the-counter whitening kits or toothpastes, but keep in mind that these solutions take longer. These products are not as effective as the procedures most dentists perform and could potentially cause damage or irritation to your teeth or gums. Just use them with caution.
Cosmetic Solutions from Dental Professionals
Most dentists can perform cosmetic procedures in their office that are designed specifically to help you look your best. Some of the most popular treatment options include these procedures:
- Take-home whitening kits that will provide you with noticeable results within a few weeks or months.
- Professional whitening services can produce dramatic and obvious results within just a few treatments.
- For severely stained, chipped or damaged teeth, we also offer veneer and crown procedures that cover the unsightly areas and restore the attractive appearance of your teeth.
The Right Solutions for You
If you are looking for a solution to yellowed or stained teeth, our team is committed to delivering outstanding options for our patients. We are conveniently located and offer appointments that suit your schedule. Same-day appointments are sometimes available for emergency situations. We work with you to determine the best approach for your dental care needs and to deliver therapeutic and cosmetic options that enhance your appearance and the function of your teeth.
To learn more about how we can help you enjoy the brightest smiles and the best dental health possible, give us a call today at . The friendly and courteous staff members at Towncare Dental will be happy to assist you.