Posted on: April 22, 2016
Sedation Dentists can Stop the Terror
If the idea of sitting in your dentist’s chair makes your blood run cold, you’re not alone. Dental anxiety and memories of painful experiences cause many people to avoid getting important dental treatments. In fact, some would rather tolerate severe pain than see their dentist in person. Fortunately, today’s sedation dentistry offers a perfect solution. It can reduce anxiety and dull awareness, so you can keep your smile healthy without being traumatized by the sound of a dental drill.
What Exactly is Sedation Dentistry?
Sedation dentistry involves the use of medication to help you relax during various types of dental procedures. The following levels of sedation are available to meet your needs:
- Minimal sedation leaves you awake but feeling relaxed.
- With moderate sedation or conscious sedation, you will be able to communicate but probably won’t remember much about the procedure.
- Deep sedation takes you to the edge of consciousness, but your dentist can still wake you if necessary.
- If you receive general anesthesia, you are completely unconscious and unable to respond.
What Methods of Sedation are Used?
The following types of sedatives are commonly used in dentistry:
- Nitrous oxide inhaled sedation
- Oral sedation in pill form
- Intravenous moderate sedation
- Deep sedation or general anesthesia
Most sedation dental procedures also employ an injected local anesthetic to numb the area that your dentist will be treating.
Who can have Sedation Dental Procedures?
Sedation dentistry is appropriate for the following types of patients:
- Patients with severe dental anxiety
- Patients with a strong gag reflex
- Children or adults who can’t sit still in the dentist’s chair
- Patients with extremely sensitive teeth
- Anyone who needs extensive dental work
- People with a low pain threshold
Can any Dentist Administer Sedation?
Most general dentists can give pills or nitrous oxide, and many can also administer moderate sedation. Deeper forms of sedation are more complex and present more possible complications. To administer deep sedation and anesthesia, sedation dentists must receive special training and obtain proper credentials and permits. Many such sedation dentists are dentist anesthesiologists and oral surgeons.
Find Oral Sedation Dentistry Florida Patients Trust
To locate a dentist who can provide oral sedation dentistry Florida patients rate highly, check with your local dental associations, or ask your dentist or other healthcare providers for referrals.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Florida, call Towncare Dental today at or make an appointment.
Towncare Dental offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Florida. Our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Towncare Dental, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Towncare Dental.